Power Breakfast – Overnight Oats
Overnight oats is on heavy rotation at our house. I like it because it’s a delicious, creamy, crunchy, grab-n-go breakfast that’s jam-packed with super nutrition. It’s full of protein, fiber, essential fatty acids and antioxidants, yet low on calories.
A friend first shared an early version of this recipe with me and I’ve since added a few tweaks to make it more appetizing to my kids. You really can’t mess it up, so feel free to experiment. My new addition is a heaping TBL of Nutiva hemp protein powder or other vegan protein powder to up the protein content.
- ½ – ¾ cup raw rolled oats
- 1/2 cup blueberries (or other berries or fruit of your choice)
- 3/4 cup non dairy milk (almond, coconut, hemp, soy, rice)
- 2 TBL hemp hearts or hemp seed
- 1 TBL chia seeds
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped raw almonds (or walnuts)
- Extra toppings: more blueberries, almonds, walnuts, granola, coconut, flax seed etc.
Place cinnamon, chia seeds and hemp hearts/seeds in bottom of 16 oz mason jar (or equivalent). Add maple syrup, almonds and milk. Close jar and shake well to make sure cinnamon and maple syrup distributed evenly. Add berries and oats, give a shake to settle, then use a knife to mix oats evenly. Add more oats if needed and then top off with milk. Leave about 1’ from top for things to expand. Refrigerate overnight. Eat cold or warm up in pan.